Achieving Work-Life Balance: To Live the Impossible Dream?
Presenters: Nicole Turnbull M.Ed., BCBA & Lynn Gaudet M.A.Ps., L.Psych., BCBA
Date: January 30, 2023
Time: 6:30-8:30 ADT
CEUs Available: 2 CEUs available ($15 for members/$40 for non-members)
Part 1: 6:30-7:30 ADT
Have you found yourself saying, “there are just not enough hours in the day”? Do you desperately need a day off but your to do list is growing? Do you feel overwhelmed being pulled in many different directions? It is no secret that the expectations of our jobs can be stressful at times.
We all get the same 24 hours in a day, what we do with those 24 hours can make the difference in working smarter instead of harder while still providing high quality services to clients. The benefits of having good time management skills are, greater productivity and efficiency, reduced stress, a positive professional reputation, and the opportunity to leave work at work and have a work life balance.
In this presentation we will be exploring strategies for having good time management skills including organization, and prioritization.
1. Identify the importance of time management and explore time management tools and strategies to meet deadlines.
2. Identify the importance of organization and review organization strategies that can help with client visits and caregiver meetings.
3. Identify the importance of prioritization and discuss strategies for prioritizing the “right things” in order to achieve more.
Part 2: 7:30-8:30 ADT
In today’s day and age, most of us are living hectic and busy lives and trying to manage it all as best as we can. Some days we feel that there are not enough hours in our workday, other days we feel there is not enough hours to manage the household, feed the kids, drive someone to soccer practice, visit Grandma in the senior’s home, and on and on. Did I mention take in a yoga class? Who has time for yoga? Does the concept of work-life balance seem like something out of reach, an impossible dream?
In this presentation, we will be looking at strategies and approaches, including self-management strategies and tools to help you get closer to achieving a sense of work-life balance in the context of your own life.
1. Identify and describe the challenges Behaviour Analysts may encounter that impact their perceived ability to balance their work, personal, and family lives.
2. Identify, describe and discuss possible consequences of not having a good work-life balance
3. Understand that the definition of work-life balance needs to be individualized to our own personal context; one size does not fit all
4. Identify, describe and define behaviours you could target
5. Explore strategies and approaches, including self-management, to get you closer to achieving your individual goals towards work-life balance